Friday, April 3, 2009

Making Toothpaste

So I think I am getting a cavity and have been having severe tooth pain. I have had trouble eating breads and such. The only thing that has been helping me is taking Cod Liver Oil. With regular use, my tooth pain has disappeared.
I have been researching tooth decay. I have concerns with my older fillings, which I know contain mercury and pose a threat to good health. I have yet to find a dentist who can safely remove them. As I was researching online, I discovered information about re-mineralizing teeth. Who knew this could be done?
Yet in reading I found some information on personal blogs where this has been done. As I did more research I found that glycerin leaves a coating on the teeth which prevents re-mineralization. I knew that I wanted Flouride-free toothpaste but I had no idea about glycerin. Every brand of toothpaste I found has flouride so I've set about making my own toothpaste.

Here is the recipe I used -
Mix together:
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
3 Tablespoons Baking Soda
5 -10 drops essential oil such as peppermint, cinnamon, or spearmint
a pinch of stevia powder

(I found this recipe at the Seeking the Old Paths blog.)
I was originally going to use Xylitol in the toothpaste, however, I noted the warning on the Cheeseslave blog about Xylitol and Agave Nectar and after checking my package of Xylitol I found that it is derived from corn.

We used myrrh oil in the toothpaste and stored it in baby jars. This toothpaste is excellent for shiny and clean-feeling teeth. Even the kids use it, however the taste is not the best. I want to try again with one of the recommended essential oils. I also added several drops of olive oil to make it a little softer for application purposes.

This article on Cheeseslave.com is a MUST read. Reversing Dental Decay with Food

No comments:

Post a Comment